The Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation is now accepting online applications from opera professionals 25-35 years of age for the 2021 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition. Singers can apply at Yaptracker.com to compete for their share of more than $40,000 in prize money. While the annual competition typically takes place in New York City, the 2021 Competition will be 100% virtual.
To be eligible to compete, singers:
- must not be a previous first-, second-, or third-place award winner of the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition;
- must be a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to March 15, 2021;
- must be between the ages of 25 and 35 as of March 15, 2021;
- must not be a past or current recipient of a contract for a principal role with an OPERA America Budget Level I company or its international equivalent. Cover, chorus, and comprimario roles with Level 1 companies are acceptable.
- must submit a completed application online by the deadline of Sunday, March 14, 2021.
In addition to completing the application on Yaptracker, each applicant must:
- be a legal resident of the United States. As proof of residency, applicant must submit a copy of a current U.S. passport, a permanent resident (green) card, or a U.S. birth certificate;
- provide an up-to-date resume showing opera roles and dates of performances (including those cancelled by COVID);
- provide a high-resolution digital headshot;
- pay a $25 application fee (non-refundable).
Singers must apply to compete by submitting an online application via Yaptracker. The application asks you to provide information about your career, music education, and aria selections. Jensen Foundation staff evaluate these materials to choose singers for our Preliminary Judging. Successful candidates for the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition are actively pursuing a career in opera. This pursuit could include many activities, including recently contracted performances (even if they were cancelled by COVID), young artist program participation, advanced study, or other creative performance opportunities. In a typical competition, staff recommends approximately half of the applicant pool for Preliminary Auditions.
See website for more info.... Read More