SUNY Potsdam invites applications for the position of Dean for The Crane School of Music; the preferred start date is January, 2022. Founded in 1886, SUNY Potsdam’s Crane School of Music has a long legacy of excellence in music education and performance. The Crane School of Music offers rigorous undergraduate and graduate programs with a strong emphasis on performance and practice, featuring over 300 recitals, lectures, and concerts presented by faculty, students, and guests each year. The Crane School of Music is SUNY’s only All-Steinway institution.
Our ideal candidate will have a record of extensive academic achievement and effective administrative leadership, including building community across and within programs, departments and schools and developing highly successful academic programs for a diverse range of students.
The Dean supervises all of the School’s faculty members, professional and administrative staff, and the Associate Dean; serves as a primary liaison with the School of Education & Professional Studies and the School of Arts & Sciences; serves on the Provost’s Cabinet, President’s Council, and other college committees. The Dean also works with a wide variety of external constituents including Crane alumni, music businesses, other collegiate music programs, and the public school music teachers of the State of New York.
See website for specific job description.
• An earned doctorate in one of the School’s academic disciplines or a closely related field
• A record of post-secondary administrative experience at a Department Chair level or higher
• Record of teaching, service, and scholarly and creative activity appropriate to rank of Professor
• Successful experience managing a complex budget
• Experience with external accreditation
• Successful experience supervising staff and academic faculty
• Demonstrated excellence in communication and conflict resolution
• Commitment to shared governance within a university setting
• Experience with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Experience evaluating faculty in the tenure and promotion process
We are seeking candidates who possess communication and interpersonal skills sufficient to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues and who have demonstrated a commitment to creating, fostering and sustaining an inclusive environment in and out of the classroom.
Please submit a letter of intent addressing how the candidate’s experiences align with the responsibilities of the position, a current CV, and list of five professional references with contact information. Screening of applications will begin on July 23, 2021.... Read More