The James A. Hyter Vocal Music Scholarship Fund was established when Elizabeth Nielsen, a legal secretary, heard Mr. Hyter perform spirituals at the "Calvary the Arts" series at Calvary Episcopal Church in downtown Memphis. She helped to secure funding from her employer, Morgan Keegan, to establish the fund.
All applicants must:
* reside or attend college in the Memphis area;
* be accepted by and plan to attend a two-year or four-year college or university and major in vocal studies;
* possess vocal talent accompanied by a love of music. Qualified applicants will be invited to a vocal audition. Applicants chosen for the audition should be prepared to perform a musical selection in each of the following categories:
* Classical - traditional concert repertoire
* Gospel or Spiritual - music of diverse culture
and Show Tunes - such as selections from Broadway musicals;
* have a current grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; and
* submit the scholarship application form and the required attachments.
A complete application includes:
* completed scholarship application form;
* one-page personal statement outlining education or career goals;
* names of and sheet music for songs you plan to perform;
* two current letters of recommendation from teachers, clergy, or persons other than family members who are familiar with your skills and abilities;
most recent high school or college transcript;
* copy of your ACT and/or SAT scores; and a
* copy of your Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) Student Aid Report (SAR) and Expected Family Contribution (EFC) information, OR your College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile.
This scholarship may be awarded to multiple students each year. The total amount available to award is $4,500.... Read More