Temple Church wishes to give talented and gifted young female singers, who are thinking of pursuing a career in music, the opportunity to be led and supported through the experience of working in a professional environment.
This opportunity is open to female sopranos or contraltos who have begun and not yet finished secondary education, or who have recently finished secondary education but have not yet begun tertiary education (ie a ‘gap year’). We are looking for outstanding singing and a high level of musicianship.
The individual(s) will sing regularly as part of our adult choir, the Temple Singers.
Initially, for the academic year 2021/22, there will be two scholarships available and we are looking to appoint one soprano and one contralto.
Value of scholarship
The total amount of each scholarship will be £7,500, to cover individual singing lessons, mentoring sessions and potentially other music-related expenses by arrangement.
• In secondary/sixth form education (Year 12 or 13) OR in a gap year between school and university as at the beginning of the academic year 2021/22. For those on a gap year, they must be aged under 20 as at 31.8.22
• Able to travel into central London easily to fulfil the duties outlined below.
• Able to commit to Wednesday evenings, some Sunday mornings and occasional evenings and Saturdays (see ‘Duties’ below)
• A developed musical understanding with the ability to be self-sufficient with the learning of the repertoire
• An ability to read music to a high level of competence
• Good general standard of musical education
• Enthusiastic, dedicated and highly-motivated
• Comfortable with the concept of singing in a small ensemble, sometimes one to a part
• Experience of singing in ensembles
• Experience of the Anglican liturgy and repertoire.
Applications should be made via the application form in the attached, to include names and contact details of two referees, and sent with a cover letter explaining why you wish to be considered for the scholarship, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date is Friday 7 May.
We plan to hold the auditions in person at Temple Church on Saturday 19 June.
Offer of Scholarship
Following successful audition and interview the candidate will be offered a scholarship contract for one year. The scholarship may have the potential to be extended for a second year.
While it is not a requirement that an applicant for an award is a UK citizen, any non-UK citizen will be asked to demonstrate their right to participate fully in this scheme in the UK
For an informal conversation about the scholarship, please contact Susan Keeling, Music Administrator, email@example.com
Tel: 020 7427 5650
... Read More