Artist Development Grants support artists at all stages of their careers. Grants can fund activities that enhance mastery of an artist’s craft or skills; activities that increase the viability of an artist's business; or for teaching artists, developing the skills necessary to provide instruction in K-12 schools remotely during the COVID-19 crisis. Funding may also support aspects of the creation of new work when the activity allows the grantee to accept a rare and important opportunity.
Eligible expenses for such activities include, but are not limited to:
* advanced study of technique or practice with a mentor
* attending a professional conference to build business or artistic skills or knowledge
* contracting professional services including photographic documentation of work, contract preparation or business incorporation, creation of accounting systems, developing e-commerce on a website, creation of marketing materials, etc.
* marketing, planning, purchasing some materials, or renting space for new exhibitions or performances
* adapting and responding to the current COVID-19 crisis
* travel within the United States
Who May Apply
Individual Vermont artists who:
• have been residents of Vermont for a minimum of one year prior to the application deadline and are residents at the time the award is granted
• are eighteen years of age or older at the time of application
• have submitted all required reports on any prior Council grants
• meet all of the above requirements and are applying as a representative of an artist group
Who May Not Apply
• Artists whose projects involve activities for which college credit is given
• Artists who have received any other Arts Council grant in the same fiscal year to support the same project
• Artists who have received an Artist Development Grant in the same fiscal year
Grant amounts range from $250-$1000. Funds are limited; grant awards generally do not exceed $500, though higher levels of funding are considered if an artist demonstrates that the proposed activity will greatly advance their professional standing. Grant amounts are dependent upon federal and state funding and subject to change.
See website for complete application procedures.
Deadlines and Notification
An artist may apply to any of the three deadlines: 11:59 p.m. on September 28, 2020; January 11, 2021; and May 10, 2021. The proposed activities must begin after the grant application deadline and end no later than August 31, 2021. Award notifications are typically made within six weeks of each application deadline.
For more info, go to www.vermontartscouncil.org/grants/artists/artist-development... Read More