The National Society of Arts and Letters is pleased to present the Dorothy Lincoln Smith Voice Competition, which began in 2017. Smith, the past NSAL National President and Chairwoman of the Board of Trustees, is generously underwriting this competition for classical vocalists, ages 23 – 31. A total of $10,000 will be awarded to winners.
Applicants must be 23-31 years of age by March 1, 2021. Former applicants including recipients of the Winston Voice Scholarship are encouraged to enter. First place winners of the DLS Competition may not enter again. Each NSAL Chapter may submit two candidates.
Chapters may choose:
1. COMPETITION BY VIDEO - must include ONE current high-quality video of the applicant performing ALL the required repertoire, not to exceed 12 minutes.
a) Selections are not to be edited except for accompaniment interludes and introductions which may be cut in the interest of time.
b) The audio may not be enhanced, and the singer should be clearly visible.
2. LIVE COMPETITION --Two finalists will then prepare and send a video as instructed above for National Competition. Applicants please check with Chapter Chairs to determine live or video competitions.
The repertoire must include:
a) Two opera arias, or one opera and one operetta aria
b) One art song, or one oratorio aria
3. Three languages represented, one being English.
4. Repertoire selections must be by different composers, demonstrating contrasting styles.
5. Dramatic interpretation encouraged.
6. Repertoire to be sung from memory except the oratorio selection. Each singer must submit only one video which includes all required repertoire. The video may be a compilation but without enhancement
See website for application submission info.
Appl deadline: March 1, 2021.
For more info, go to https://www.arts-nsal.org/dorothy-lincolnsmith-classical-voice