The Young Artists Vocal Competition is part of the Gulf Coast Messiah Chorus' ongoing educational program for young people, seeking to stimulate interest in classical music among young singers. We also hope to pass down the tradition of singing Handel's oratorio, Messiah, to succeeding generations. Finally, we wish to encourage exceptionally gifted young singers and help them develop as the vocal leaders of the future. A panel of judges critique the performances and determine vocal and scholarship winners. The audience at the competition will vote for the "Audience's Favorite Singer." We welcome your participation in this, our ninth annual YAVC, on Saturday, October 24, 2020 at MGCCC - JD Campus, Gulfport. Vocal winners of the competition will be invited to perform their solos at the Messiah concert, Saturday, December 5, 2020. All scholarship winners will be introduced at the concert.
The YAVC is open to young singers, ages 15 - 25 (as of September 1, 2019), who live along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in one of the southern six counties (including Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Pearl River, Stone or George County). *The participant can be a resident of the area, working in the area, a student in the area, or someone who grew up in the area but is in school elsewhere. Also, young vocalists who have previously performed with the GCMC may audition, regardless of their place of residence.
To complete your registration, mail the following:
1. A recent recommendation from your primary vocal teacher briefly detailing your current vocal development
2. A recommendation from an adult (non-family member) in the community
3. A single-page essay describing your musical training, experience, your future musical goals and list the solo(s) for which you plan to audition
4. REGISTRATION FEE: check payable to Gulf Coast Messiah Chorus
Early Registration deadline: September 20, 2020, with fee of $10
Final Registration deadline: October 11, 2020, with fee of $20
5. Contact Donna Snell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 228-896-4143 to let the chairman know you are entering the YAVC.
6. THEN mail all to Donna Snell - 1208 Pine Street - Gulfport, MS 39507
For more info, or to download appl, go to www.messiahchorus.org/yavc2020.html