The Young Artists Vocal Competition (YAVC) is part of the Gulf Coast Messiah Chorus’ ongoing educational program for young people, seeking to stimulate interest in classical music among young singers. We also hope to pass down the tradition of singing Handel’s oratorio, Messiah, to succeeding generations. Finally, we wish to encourage exceptionally gifted young singers and help them develop as the vocal leaders of the future. A panel of judges critique the performances and determine vocal and scholarship winners. The audience at the competition will vote for the “Audience’s Favorite Singer.” We welcome your participation in this, our 10th Annual YAVC, on Saturday, October 23, 2021. Vocal winners of the competition will be invited to perform their solos at the Messiah concert, Saturday, December 4, 2021. All scholarship winners will be introduced at the concert.
The YAVC is open to young singers, ages 15 – 25 (as of September 1, 2019), who live along the Mississippi Gulf Coast in one of the southern six counties (including Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Pearl River, Stone or George County). *The participant can be a resident of the area, working in the area, a student in the area, or someone who grew up in the area but is in school elsewhere. Also, young vocalists who have previously performed with the GCMC may audition, regardless of their place of residence. Note: Competition scholarship winners will be expected to sing in the Messiah Chorus during the fall season as a way to fully experience Handel’s Messiah. In-person rehearsals will HOPEFULLY resume on Monday nights, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. from October 25 through November 22. Dress rehearsal is Sunday, November 28. Contact Messiah Chorus Director, Dr. Paul McGahie (228-257-2249), for further clarification or information about rehearsal requirements.
TO COMPLETE YOUR REGISTRATION, MAIL THE FOLLOWING :
1. A recent recommendation from your primary vocal teacher briefly detailing your current vocal development
2. A recommendation from an adult (non-family member) in the community (First-time
3. A single-page essay describing your musical training, experience, your future musical goals and list the solo(s) for which you plan to audition
4. REGISTRATION FEE: Check payable to “Gulf Coast Messiah Chorus”
Early Registration deadline: September 30, 2021, with fee of $10
Final Registration deadline: October 12, 2021, with fee of $20
5. BEFORE OCTOBER 12: Contact Donna Snell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 228-896-4143 to let the chairman know you are entering the YAVC. (This is to avoid problems we had in the past with not receiving registration materials in a timely manner, possibly due to problems with postal delivery.)
6. THEN, ON or BEFORE OCTOBER 12, 2021:
Mail all to Donna Snell - 1208 Pine Street - Gulfport, MS 39507... Read More