CS Music’s Mary Taylor had the opportunity to interview Natalie Weiss recently. Natalie is a Broadway performer, voice teacher extraordinaire, and creator of her Breaking Down the Riffs Online Singing Course. She has over 125,000 followers on Instagram, 235,000 subscribers on YouTube, and over 500,000 followers on TikTok. They talked about a wide range of topics, ranging from auditioning for Broadway, to how she runs her voice studio, to dealing with anxiety in today’s challenging world. Follow along with these videos of Mary’s chat with Natalie!
- Natalie tells us her thoughts about how university auditions are these days versus when she auditioned.
- Natalie shares her thoughts on networking in the small world of musical theatre.
- Natalie talks about auditioning for Broadway.
- Natalie talks about how she got a call back even though she cracked during the audition.
- Natalie talks about her options to perform these days and how it works (or doesn’t work) for her.
- Natalie tells us what her life was like as a swing on tour with Les Misérables.
- Natalie talks about if she has a preference of teaching over performing and why.
- Natalie discusses how she has run her voice studio and some of the things she has learned along the way.
- Natalie on dealing with anxiety, how she gets herself out of it, and how she gets nervous meeting new voice students.